Sunday, July 10, 2011

Crazy day...

We rode the bus to get to the beach today, we had all met a guy at the bus stop so he was talking with the others. When we got to the beach he also gets out there and hangs around for a bit, but as he was leaving he was giving everyone one of those cheek kisses (that Costa Ricans do) so while the 7 of us were in a circle. I was like "Oh Justine become invisible...for just a few seconds PLEASE!" It didn't work, lol! I knew that a kiss on the cheek is like one of their culture things that I know I've never done in the United States, but still I was like "Runnnnn..." in my mind and thinking, "...oh please don't see me, just give me a hand shake!" But sure enough he gives me one too while I'm trying to calm myself down saying, "It's okay Justine, it's a culture thing for them, it's like their type of hand shake, it's the way thy greet one another." As he was going down the line of all of us and does it to me he noticed my reaction and how I was like awkwared by it he said, "Oh I'm sorry!" I remember Pastor Steve and Pastor John always talking about how their were gonna be things done different and how I need to be prepared, but I think I failed on that one. I mean seriously, how often have I ever gotten a kiss on the cheek by a guy? NEVER in my life, (unless it's my Dad or maybe my grandpa's when I was little) lol! I don't know if I could ever get used to that. I wish the guys just gave girls hand shakes. :D

Michaela and I later went on a walk down the beach for about an hour. We were finding crabs and not just sea shells but actual shells that had something living in them. Cool! With the crabs I tried to scare it back up to shore so I could get a better look. I was using my flip flop to direct it when it jumped at me, scaring me and making me jump and run back to Michaela, LOL! Michaela would pick up the sea snails which looked to me like a white flat looking slug with a shell stuck on top of it. I enjoyed the walk on the beach with Michaela. I'm so glad Michaela's not sick anymore. She's an easy girl to miss..."Love you Michaela, I think you're awesome and fun to hang out with for sure!!!" Oh yeah here's something else. When we were walking back she almost stepped on a crab and I figured she'd get pinched if she did so I screamed as a sign to warn her when no words would come out of my mouth. She was like, "Oh my goodness..." because of my reaction to tell her there was a crab. Michaela goes on to explain exactly how I did it or something and repeats the scream to demonstrate and ends up making me scream by her scream. Wow...okay!
Right and just so you know, I'm not a seafood person...haha!

Tonight we went to the Christian Surfers concert. Today at the beach there was a surfing contest going on. While we were at the church band concert kids were running around and found their way to Michaela and I. Two of the kids we knew already and decided to try and get Michaela up out of her seat to play with them. A second later they got me up and I was putting Wolfy upside down and over my shoulder with of course a lot of tickling. Once I put him down two other little boys came up to me wanting me to do the same thing to them. I ended chasing them around with one or two of the kids on my back and the other hanging on my neck. Lol. It's so fun to play with kids! A couple of the kids mom's ended up telling the kids to calm down saying that I wasn't a jungle gym. Haha!! It's so funny...there were 5 of them wanting to be on my back, over my shoulder, being tickled or the one being chased. Whew!! Alot of fun...but tiring :D Stacy-Wolfy and Olivia's mom says, "Justine, your like a child magnet!!" ...as the kids are drawn to me....I love it!

1 comment:

  1. Actually in the olden days, guys did not give hand shakes OR hugs. It was improper to touch a woman unless he was married to her. :)

    ReplyDelete